If you have painful knots or "trigger points" in your pelvic floor, you may want to try using a pelvic wand. Wands not only sound magical, they can feel that way, too — especially if you've been dealing with pelvic pain for a long time, with little relief.
As a pelvic floor PT, I recommend wands to patients experiencing painful sex (dyspareunia), vaginismus, tailbone pain, constipation, and even urgency and frequency of urination. A wand's unique "S" shape makes it the perfect self-treatment tool. Once your pelvic floor PT has taught you how to use one safely, it literally puts pain-relieving power into your own hands.
Shopping for a wand on your own? It can be tricky to know which one is best for you. Let me break down your options so you can make an informed choice.
Our favorite brand of pelvic wand
Well respected for their expertly designed pelvic health products, Intimate Rose is our pick for the best pelvic wand brand.
Why we love this brand:
- The Intimate Rose pelvic wands were designed by a pelvic health physical therapist. With years of experience treating patients with muscle-related pelvic pain, the thoughtful features are just what you need to effectively improve your symptoms.
- The unique shape and size of the pelvic wands make it so it can be inserted vaginally or anally, and used on trigger points in superficial or deeper muscles which are harder to get to with other brands that have less curvature.
- There are 3 models to choose from, and the wands are all covered in velvety-soft medical-grade silicone allowing for smooth insertion with minimal pain.
- The wands are FDA cleared for improved confidence while using.
- They offer affordable options, and even the higher-tech ones are competitively priced.
The best OVERALL pelvic wand
The Pelvic Wand by Intimate Rose is a safe and reliable choice for the majority of people with muscle-based pelvic pain symptoms.
Why we love this wand:
- The unique ‘S-shape’ of the wand helps you access all of the muscles in your pelvic floor — either through the anal canal or the vaginal canal — so you can easily take part in treating your muscles.
- The long skinny end is designed to reach the deepest muscles of the pelvic floor (including the often stubborn obtruator internus), while the shorter, thicker end allows you to easily treat your more superficial muscles.
- It doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles (which most of the time you don’t need anyway) so it’s less likely to break down, and it is affordable: $29.99 plus free shipping.
The best wand for different pressure sensations
With dual ends that allow for differences in pressure and sensation, Pelvic Myofascial Wand is a great wand option particularly if the different areas of tenderness in your muscles have different pressure needs. At around $60, these do tend to run on the more expensive side.
Why we love this wand:
- The thin ½ inch diameter makes inserting, whether you need to do so through the anus or the vagina, more comfortable
- The thin end of the wand mimics a finger-like pressure on trigger points, while the baubled end of the wand allows for pressure to be dispersed over the increased surface area, which may feel better on really irritable or larger trigger points.
- The wand can easily be washed with soap and water, and is compatible with all different lube varieties, including silicone-based, water-based or natural oils such as vitamin E or coconut oil.
The best wand for temperature therapy
Playing with the temperature of your pelvic wand can be a really helpful way to increase the benefits of internal muscle release. In general, ice can calm the nerves or inflammation which contribute to pain, while heat will bring blood flow to the area, easing muscle tension. The Temperature Therapy Pelvic Wand has all of the awesome properties as the other Intimate Rose wands, plus these bonus features.
Why we love this wand:
- This wand can be heated up or cooled down depending your specific needs, and the material at the core of the wand allows for your chosen temperature to be retained while using.
- Because of the cooling properties, this wand can be extra helpful for those with pain related to inflammation or nerve irritation such as endometriosis and pudendal neuralgia.
- It comes in a beautiful yellow as a nod to endometriosis awareness.
The best option for good vibrations
The Vibrating Pelvic Wand by Intimate Rose adds vibration to your pelvic floor muscle release routine which can really up the ante for your pain management skills. Studies show that vibration therapy is effective at reducing pain. It may even improve blood flow to your tissues, for improved healing and overall tissue health.
Why we love this wand:
- It has all of the accessibility features of the original Intimate Rose Pelvic Wand, but with the additional benefits of vibration.
- There are 10 vibration settings to choose from, allowing you to truly customize your muscle treatment sessions.
- The vibration may be helpful for those needing to improve blood flow to their tissues. Intimate Rose recommends this wand for those in menopause or after surgery or pelvic cancer treatments (don’t forget to be cleared by your physician before taking it for a spin).
A note on Yoni Wands & Yoni De-Armoring
You may have heard of yoni de-armoring as a way to release tension and trauma from your vagina for improved sexual function. Yoni wands, which are often made of gemstones, are sold as an empowering self-treatment tool. We love that alternative therapy options are bringing light and pathways of hope for those with pelvic pain, but also want to add a few notes of caution to make sure you get the best possible care for your pelvic and emotional health.
The effects of trauma on a person and their body are complex and often far-reaching. To prevent worsening the effects and set the foundation for healing, it's recommended that individuals work with a multidisciplinary team of trained professionals. If internal muscle work is needed to help with healing and reduction of pelvic pain symptoms, a pelvic health physical therapist will help you achieve the best outcomes.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT yoni de-armoring wands:
- Yoni wands are commonly made from gemstone material, so they are porous. This means that bacteria can sneak in and stick around despite washing. Look for wands with a material that is non-porous and easily cleaned to minimize the chances of introducing an infection to your vagina.
- The typical shape of yoni wands are more ideal for accessing your g-spot and less ideal for getting to your tender muscles that can live deep in your pelvis. Look for an ‘S-shape’ wand for easier access.
- While the placebo effect can be powerful, there's very limited evidence to support the additional healing properties of gemstone therapy.
If you're experiencing pelvic pain, you're far from being alone. Research shows that chronic pelvic pain affects around 20% of women in the United States (that's 1 in 5 individuals with vaginal anatomy). And, given how hard it can be to talk to a doctor about pelvic issues, the actual numbers are likely much higher. We hope you'll see a pelvic physical therapist for personalized treatment and coaching on how to use tools like pelvic wands to get relief.
Have questions about your symptoms or pelvic wands? We’re here to help! Book a visit or schedule a free intro call.